For years I’ve heard jokes about what the U.S. would be like if we restricted gun access like we do abortion access. What would that really look like?
- Targeted Regulation of Ammunition Providers (TRAP) laws would mandate gun shops retroactively meet the building regulations for dental clinics.
- More than half of states would require two trips to the gun shop – one to state your intent and another to actually get a gun.
- You couldn’t bear a gun in the presence of anyone with a heart beat.
- Or anyone capable of feeling pain (a difficult thing to measure externally).ab
- Gun sellers would live in fear for their lives, wearing bullet proof vests, taking varied routes home to avoid stalking, and being called being called “baby killers” in the news.
- Gun shops would be routine victims of arson attacks, stink bombs, and broken windows.
- Escorts would need to protect customers as they walked in and out of gun shops, past protesters waving grotesque enlarged photos of alleged gun wounds.
- 97% of counties wouldn’t have a single gun seller.
- Even proponents of guns would use weasel words like “I support weapon choice.”
It’s nowhere close to a perfect analogy, but it’s interesting to think about all the same.